[xmlsec] Re: non us-ascii filenames in user locale

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Fri Jun 25 11:10:16 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 06:40:54PM +0300, Roumen Petrov wrote:
> Now this is too long discussion but without success.
> My problem how to sign "modèle.txt" is not solved.

  "modèle.txt" is not an URI Reference, it's a file path. Trying
to base conclusion on the way to handle a file path using the
RFC 2396 which deals with URIs is not the best way to move forward.
If you URI-escape the filename, I bet that libxml2 will be able
to read it even if you pass an URI instead of a filename. So now
that URI can be used as such "mod%C3%A8le.xml" for all URI based processing
too.

paphio:~/tmp -> ls -l mod*.xml
-rw-rw-r--    1 veillard www             7 Jun 25 20:06 modèle.xml
paphio:~/tmp -> xmllint modèle.xmll
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<doc/>
paphio:~/tmp -> xmllint mod%C3%A8le.xml
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<doc/>
paphio:~/tmp ->

  If you know the encoding, if the filename is non-ascii, then UTF-8
encode it, URI-escape it at you level before calling any of the libraries
and it should just work ! You just need to pass an URI and not a filename.

Daniel