[xmlsec] xmlsec 1.2.35-rc1 and spring 2023 cleanup release

Aleksey Sanin aleksey at aleksey.com
Mon Oct 10 14:20:04 UTC 2022

The XML Security Library 1.2.35 release candidate #1 is published
in the usual place:

http://www.aleksey.com/xmlsec/download/xmlsec1-1.2.35-rc1.tar.gz
http://www.aleksey.com/xmlsec/download/xmlsec1-1.2.35-rc1.sig

This release includes a large number of changes related to OpenSSL 3.0
migration and overall code cleanup. I would appreciate if you can
validate that there are no issues. I plant to publish the release in
a week or two.

* Migration to OpenSSL 3.0 API (based on PR by @snargit). Note that
OpenSSL engines are disabled by default when XMLSec library is compiled
against OpenSSL 3.0. To re-enable OpenSSL engines, use
"--enable-openssl3-engines" configure flag (there will be a lot of
deprecation warnings).

* The OpenSSL before 1.1.0 and LibreSSL before 2.7.0 are now deprecated
and will be removed in the future versions of XMLSec Library.

* Refactored all the integer casts to ensure cast-safety. Fixed all
warnings and enabled "-Werror" and "-pedantic" flags on CI builds.

* Added configure flag to use size_t for xmlSecSize (currently disabled
by default for backward compatibility).

* Moved all CI builds to GitHub actions.

* Several other small fixes

On a similar note, I am planning a "spring cleanup" release removing
a lot of old/deprecated stuff. I am collecting ideas here:

https://github.com/lsh123/xmlsec/issues/400

Please comment on the issue if you have concerns about existing plan
or if there are other things you think should be deleted!

Best,