[xmlsec] Handling the SignedInfo element for signing

Si St sigbj-st at operamail.com
Sun Nov 20 13:13:44 PST 2011

As to your reference  http://www.w3.org/TR/xmldsig-core/#sec-Secure
it is quite laborious to read and to fully understand, but it seems as
if one can read out that everything depends upon the verification
program/application being able to roll back what the signing application
has set forth. The phrase: "SHOULD NOT use internal entities and SHOULD
represent the namespace" is difficult to understand without
examplification done on to the SignedInfo directly.
--
  Si St
  sigbj-st at operamail.com

On Saturday, November 19, 2011 2:14 PM, "G. Ken Holman"
<gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com> wrote:
> Please ask your questions publicly and not privately.
OK. Here is the message that fell out of the public posting:
This clearifies to a point, but should the declaration be there or not
like this?

<SignedInfo xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#">
<CanonicalizationMethod
Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xml-c14n-20010315"></CanonicalizationMethod>
<SignatureMethod
Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#rsa-sha1"></SignatureMethod>
<Reference URI="">
<Transforms>
<Transform
Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#enveloped-signature"></Transform>
<Transform
Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xml-c14n-20010315"></Transform>
</Transforms>
<DigestMethod
Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#sha1"></DigestMethod>
<DigestValue>Tjq6LcMyR4JsrCDQdS9kwGYzo8o=</DigestValue>
</Reference>
</SignedInfo>

The declaration is taken from
<Signature xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#">
that comes before SignedInfo
The idea is taken from this site:
http://www.di-mgt.com.au/xmldsig.html
and I wonder if it is right or wrong and if right,is it part of the
digest calculation?
--
  Si St
  sigbj-st at operamail.com