[xmlsec] Handling the SignedInfo element for signing

G. Ken Holman gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
Sat Nov 19 05:57:55 PST 2011

At 2011-11-19 05:34 -0800, Si St wrote:
>Question:
>Is there any peculiarity during the process of digesting and signing
>that digest that is easy to miss as to xmlsec or all signing procedure
>as well?
>Should the attribute from the <Signature> element (the xmlns=) be
>transferred to <SignedInfo> to become <SignedInfo
>xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#"> or is this a misnomer? In
>case this is correct, this "new" element constitutes then the part of
>the whole SignedInfo that should be canonicalized and hashed all
>together.

The following is not an attribute, it is a namespace declaration:

  xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#"

It is not considered in the list of attributes of the element, even
though it looks like and smells like an attribute.

I'm not really sure what you are asking, but I'm hoping this
clarification will answer your question.

Free 5-hour video lecture: XSLT/XPath 1.0 & 2.0 http://ude.my/t37DVX
Crane Softwrights Ltd.            http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/z/
G. Ken Holman                   mailto:gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com