[xmlsec] Command-line or library

Sébastien Hinderer Sebastien.Hinderer at snv.jussieu.fr
Thu May 14 01:59:14 PDT 2009

Dear all,

I'm trying to implement a specification for encrypting digital talking
books:
http://www.daisy.org/projects/pdtb/
Since the specification uses xml encryption, it is natural to think
about xmlsec when implementing it.
What I can't really figure out is: should I rather use xmlsec as a
command-line tool and just develop a script that prepares the
appropriate clear-text files and then runs xmlsec the appropriate way on
all of them, or should I ratehr use xmlsec as a library inside the
protector program ?

In other words: what can be achieved with the library that could not be
achived through the comand-line.

For example: according to the abovementionned specification, all the xml
content has to be encrypted with the same AES key, which is itself
encrypted with an RSA public key and stored an "authorization object".
The other XML files do not themselves contain the value of the AES key
they have been encrypted with.
Is this an example of something that cold be done only with the library
and not through the command-line ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, since I'm getting a bit
overwhelmed with these things.

Many thanks in advance for any advice,
Sébastien.