[xmlsec] Command-line or library

Aleksey Sanin aleksey at aleksey.com
Thu May 14 11:05:39 PDT 2009

Hi Sébastien,

The library obviously provides more control over the
operations and you can tweak way more things than you
can do via command line tool. In particular, command line
tool is pretty weak in the keys/certs management area.
Basically, it uses the crypto library defaults and
there are no options to customize it.

Another issue is the fact that command line tool operates
on files while library can operate on documents in memory.
Having un-encrypted files on HDD might be a bad idea.

One of the options is to start from using the command line
tool and see if it meets your requirements. Most of the
work you will do (e.g. preparing templates) will be re-used
if you decide to switch to using the library itself later.

Aleksey