[xmlsec] versioning and library naming policies

John Belmonte jvb at prairienet.org
Mon Mar 31 16:29:44 PST 2003

Aleksey Sanin wrote:
> I just looked at the librar namig and it seems that we are doing right
> thing already:
>
>    [aleksey at lsh lib]$ ls *xmlsec*.so*
>
> Why do you think it needs to be changed?

Hi,

Please take a look at my original message once more.  It's not just about shared
libraries, but static libraries also.  I explained the rationale for putting the
version in the main part of the library name (e.g., xmlsec-0.1 instead of just
xmlsec) for both cases.  This scheme is followed by many libraries.  To get a
rough idea, simply try:

     ls /usr/lib/lib*[0-9].so

or

     ls /usr/lib/lib*[0-9].a

Another point I'll add is that "development" and "snapshot" versions of software
appear in Debian all the time.  The fact is that many Linux developers use
Debian for their cutting-edge work and want all tools and libraries to be nicely
packaged.  For things to go smoothly, development versions need to coexist
properly with stable versions.  Having soname or library file name conflicts,
even temporarily, throws a wrench in this.

Regards,
-John

--
http:// if   l .   /