[xmlsec] versioning and library naming policies

John Belmonte jvb at prairienet.org
Thu Mar 27 07:52:10 PST 2003

Hi Aleksey,

You haven't stated any policies, but it seems your intention is to sometimes be
developing more than one version at a time (e.g. 0.0.x and 0.1.x series).  Will
even versions be stable and odd be development, like the Linux kernel, or is
this only coincidence?

In any case, I think some changes to the naming of library files may be
necessary.  One reason is to allow a separate SONAME sequence for each series.
Here is what I propose for both the file name and SONAME of shared libraries:

     libxmlsec-<SERIES_VERSION>.so.<SEQUENCE_NUMBER>

For example:

     libxmlsec-0.0.so.0
     libxmlsec-0.1.so.0

and static libraries would be:

     libxmlsec-0.0.a
     libxmlsec-0.1.a

This also helps the packagers who have to maintain multiple series.  We can name
our packages in a similar way (xmlsec-0.0, etc.).

A few examples of other libraries using this convention are libtk/tcl and libgimp.

I'm not an expert about these things, but that is my take.  If two series are
going to be significant at the same time then:

    * developers need a way to work with both series on the same machine, so
static library file names must include the series version number

    * to avoid confusion, SONAME sequences should progress naturally, and not be
affected by some other version, so dynamic library file names and SONAMES also
must include the series version number.

Regards,
-John

--