[xmlsec] XMLSec with OpenSSL 3.x

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Tue May 17 17:30:32 UTC 2022

Congrats on this, however I am quite worried about some choices and
wonder if I should open issues for those.

I see that now xmlsec unconditioanlly loads the legacy provider in the
default context.

This is pretty bad, as it will change the context for the application
xmlsec is pulled in too, changing what the application now has access
to.

We went to great lengths to avoid this in RHEL for example, and I
pushed code in various upstreams to only load the legacy provider in a
custom context if absolutely needed.

In general legacy algorithms are pretty bad and shouldn't be pulled in
automatically, instead admins can enable the legacy provider via
configuration if they really need them.

There are some exceptions where a protocol really needs something
legacy, that's when I created a special openssl context just for the
specific legacy invocation.

xmlsec is pulled in via indirect linking in *a lot* o software even
when it is not used at all, so this automatic loading of the legacy
provider really concerns me.

Can we address this problem before you make a release?

Simo.