[xmlsec] Can't decrypt GCM based algorithms

Timothy Legge timlegge at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 21:34:27 UTC 2022

Hi

It also seems to be an issue with a IdP SAMLResponse from okta:

I have attached the xml as test xml and the base64 version as well as
the private key (that private key is from perl-Net-SAML2 and is
already public so it is fine to post).  My perl XML::Enc module
decrypts this file without any issues.

I am continuing to review.

Tim

xmlsec1 --decrypt --privkey-pem sign-private-rsa.pem test.xml
func=xmlSecXPathDataExecute:file=xpath.c:line=246:obj=unknown:subj=xmlXPtrEval:error=5:libxml2
library function
failed:expr=xpointer(id('_040a0aae3380dc9275ae08c24a8ddd72')); xml
error: 0: NULL
func=xmlSecXPathDataListExecute:file=xpath.c:line=330:obj=unknown:subj=xmlSecXPathDataExecute:error=1:xmlsec
library function failed:
func=xmlSecTransformXPathExecute:file=xpath.c:line=430:obj=xpointer:subj=xmlSecXPathDataListExecute:error=1:xmlsec
library function failed:
func=xmlSecTransformDefaultPushXml:file=transforms.c:line=2108:obj=xpointer:subj=xmlSecTransformExecute:error=1:xmlsec
library function failed:
func=xmlSecTransformCtxXmlExecute:file=transforms.c:line=1044:obj=xpointer:subj=xmlSecTransformPushXml:error=1:xmlsec
library function failed:
func=xmlSecTransformCtxExecute:file=transforms.c:line=1092:obj=unknown:subj=xmlSecTransformCtxXmlExecute:error=1:xmlsec
library function failed:
func=xmlSecKeyDataRetrievalMethodXmlRead:file=keyinfo.c:line=1108:obj=retrieval-method:subj=xmlSecTransformCtxExecute:error=1:xmlsec
library function failed:
func=xmlSecKeyInfoNodeRead:file=keyinfo.c:line=121:obj=retrieval-method:subj=xmlSecKeyDataXmlRead:error=1:xmlsec
library function failed:node=RetrievalMethod
func=xmlSecKeysMngrGetKey:file=keys.c:line=1234:obj=unknown:subj=xmlSecKeyInfoNodeRead:error=1:xmlsec
library function failed:node=KeyInfo
func=xmlSecEncCtxEncDataNodeRead:file=xmlenc.c:line=779:obj=unknown:subj=unknown:error=45:key
is not found:encMethod=aes256-gcm
func=xmlSecEncCtxDecryptToBuffer:file=xmlenc.c:line=596:obj=unknown:subj=xmlSecEncCtxEncDataNodeRead:error=1:xmlsec
library function failed:
func=xmlSecEncCtxDecrypt:file=xmlenc.c:line=524:obj=unknown:subj=xmlSecEncCtxDecryptToBuffer:error=1:xmlsec
library function failed:
Error: failed to decrypt file
Error: failed to decrypt file "test.xml"

Timothy Legge
timlegge at gmail.com
timlegge at cpan.org