[xmlsec] Attempting to sign with DSA key

Timothy Legge timlegge at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 10:02:54 PST 2020

Hi

Some background.  I have been updating the perl module XML::Sig and
one of the things I added was the ability to sign any XML nodes that
have ID as an attribute.

I use xmlsec1 as a test case to ensure that my resulting documents can
be validated with xmlsec1 (and vice-versa that XML::Sig can validate
documents signed by xmlsec).

So in this case I wanted a DSA signed XML that has both the
samlp:Response ID=identifier_1" and <saml:Assertion ID="identifier_2"
signed by the same key

Essentially I wanted to see how xmlsec signs multiple parts of the
same XML file.

I notice the spec says that you can use multiple references in a
single signature but it appears the most applications sign the
documents twice,

In the case then, I would sign the XML once for identifier_2 with
xmlsec and then repeat for identifier_1 as it will need to sign the
embedded signature from the first signing.

I thought you might be able to use the two

--id-attr:ID "Response"
--id-attr:ID "Assertion"

at the same time to sign both sections in one pass.

TIm