[xmlsec] Verifying detached signatures with exclusive c14n

Nimish Telang nimish at telang.net
Thu Aug 8 09:17:58 PDT 2019

Hi,

Consider the following XML doc: https://gist.github.com/nimish/b00fb8a75a8b4c424553783c7adb7656

I’m trying to verify the wsu:Timestamp element using the sibling detached signature.

xmlsec1 --verify --id-attr:ID "http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-wssecurity-utility-1.0.xsd:Timestamp" --print-debug --store-references ./timestamp-wrapped.xml

will fail signature verification. Output: https://gist.github.com/nimish/868029115e41fee5fe56b0b5b40872f4

I don’t see a “=== Transform: exc-c14n (href=http://www.w3.org/2001/10/xml-exc-c14n#)” under the “REFERENCE VERIFICATION CONTEXT” as I’d expect, which is likely what’s causing the verification to fail. The only defined c14n algo is xml-exc-c14n.

The python package signxml, which was used to generate this signature, can verify this just fine. I am not sure if this is signxml behaving badly, or xmlsec1.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

Nimish