[xmlsec] XML Sig verification and missing SignedInfo Reference elment

Aleksey Sanin aleksey at aleksey.com
Mon Sep 16 12:02:12 PDT 2013

Section 4.3

"The structure of SignedInfo includes the canonicalization algorithm, a
signature algorithm, and one or more references."

And the schema:

  Schema Definition:

   <element name="SignedInfo" type="ds:SignedInfoType"/>
   <complexType name="SignedInfoType">
     <sequence>
       <element ref="ds:CanonicalizationMethod"/>
       <element ref="ds:SignatureMethod"/>
       <element ref="ds:Reference" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
     </sequence>
     <attribute name="Id" type="ID" use="optional"/>
   </complexType>

make me think that Reference element is required.

As a side note, I don't understand what signature are we talking about
if there are no Reference elements.

Aleksey