[xmlsec] Problem with xmlsec configure

Mike Peat mpeat at unicorninterglobal.com
Mon Feb 4 17:30:13 PST 2013

Hi Roumen

Improbable as it may seem, I have, as of very recently, got the whole
thing working under MinGW/MSys on Windows.  (Hey, it only took me about
3 months! <g>)  Once I have got clear of everything I urgently need to
get done, I will document the entire process and my setup and post it
somewhere (maybe tell me where). My *heartfelt* thanks to you and others
who have helped me out along the way.

Pretty much the last thing I had to get past was the fact that "make
install" on xmlsec kept failing (which is why I had to go looking for
missing DLLs on my own), with:

//===================
make[5]: Entering directory
`/projects/xmlsec1/xmlsec1-1.2.18/include/xmlsec'

*** WARNING ***:

You seem to have old xmlsec header files installed in:

   "/projects/xmlsec1/xmlsec1-1.2.18/include/xmlsec"

The entire directory will be removed now.
To allow parallel installation of different xmlsec library versions,
the header files are now installed in a version specific subdirectory:

   "/projects/xmlsec1/xmlsec1-1.2.18/include/xmlsec1/xmlsec"

rm: cannot remove directory
`/projects/xmlsec1/xmlsec1-1.2.18/include/xmlsec': Permission denied
make[5]: *** [remove-old-headers] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/projects/xmlsec1/xmlsec1-1.2.18/include/xmlsec'
make[4]: *** [install-exec-am] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory `/projects/xmlsec1/xmlsec1-1.2.18/include/xmlsec'
make[3]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/projects/xmlsec1/xmlsec1-1.2.18/include/xmlsec'
make[2]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/projects/xmlsec1/xmlsec1-1.2.18/include/xmlsec'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/projects/xmlsec1/xmlsec1-1.2.18/include'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

//===================

I finally figured out (doh!) that it probably wasn't anything to with
permissions (after much futile messing around with attrib and chmod and
Windows Explorer), but the fact that the Makefile in
xmlsec1-1.2.18/include/xmlsec was, I think, trying to remove the
directory it was currently sitting in.  See
xmlsec1-1.2.18/include/xmlsec/Makefile.in, lines 741-762:

//===================
remove-old-headers:
     @if test "x$(DESTDIR)" = "x" && test -d "$(includedir)/xmlsec"; then \
         echo
"----------------------------------------------------------------------"; \
         echo; \
         echo "*** WARNING ***:"; \
         echo; \
         echo "You seem to have old xmlsec header files installed in:"; \
         echo; \
         echo "  \"$(includedir)/xmlsec\""; \
         echo; \
         echo "The entire directory will be removed now."; \
         echo "To allow parallel installation of different xmlsec
library versions,"; \
         echo "the header files are now installed in a version specific
subdirectory:"; \
         echo; \
         echo "  \"$(xmlsecincdir)\""; \
         echo; \
         echo
         echo; \
         rm -rf "$(includedir)/xmlsec"; \
     fi

install-exec-hook: remove-old-headers

My workaround was just to comment-out the "rm" line, which resulted in
workingness.

I suspect that this is an actual bug rather than an aspect of my stupidity.

Mike