[xmlsec] Support for really large XML documents

Vit Zikmund vit_zikmund at cz.ibm.com
Wed May 23 08:28:37 PDT 2012

Hello,
we are trying to use the XMLSec utility to verify documents signed with
our own application and probably have hit a limit of the document size,
that XMLSec is able to process.

The simplest question is: Does XMLSec support handling large
documents/files? Is is about to? For large I mean 2 gigabytes and more.

I can verify a document of 1GB, but little over 2GB returns an error:

func=xmlSecTransformC14NPushXml:file=c14n.c:line=279:obj=c14n:subj=xmlOutputBufferClose:error=5:libxml2
library function failed:
func=xmlSecTransformDefaultPushXml:file=transforms.c:line=2417:obj=enveloped-signature:subj=xmlSecTransformPushXml:error=1:xmlsec
library function failed:
func=xmlSecTransformCtxXmlExecute:file=transforms.c:line=1236:obj=unknown:subj=xmlSecTransformPushXml:error=1:xmlsec
library function failed:transform=enveloped-signature
func=xmlSecTransformCtxExecute:file=transforms.c:line=1296:obj=unknown:subj=xmlSecTransformCtxXmlExecute:error=1:xmlsec
library function failed:
func=xmlSecDSigReferenceCtxProcessNode:file=xmldsig.c:line=1571:obj=unknown:subj=xmlSecTransformCtxExecute:error=1:xmlsec
library function failed:
func=xmlSecDSigCtxProcessSignedInfoNode:file=xmldsig.c:line=804:obj=unknown:subj=xmlSecDSigReferenceCtxProcessNode:error=1:xmlsec
library function failed:node=Reference
func=xmlSecDSigCtxProcessSignatureNode:file=xmldsig.c:line=547:obj=unknown:subj=xmlSecDSigCtxProcessSignedInfoNode:error=1:xmlsec
library function failed:
func=xmlSecDSigCtxVerify:file=xmldsig.c:line=366:obj=unknown:subj=xmlSecDSigCtxSigantureProcessNode:error=1:xmlsec
library function failed:
Error: signature failed
ERROR

If I interpret it right, it seems like it's a problem of the underlying
libxm2 library, but the question still stands. I have built the tool for
x86_64 from the latest released source and used the latest libxml2 and
libxslt sources as well.

Thank you very much in advance.
Vit Zikmund