[xmlsec] Spaces in xml Id attribute

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Thu Jun 17 19:51:48 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 12:36:11PM +0530, mahendra N wrote:
> Hi,
>     I have an xml file where the Id attribute has a space. xmlsec is unable
> to verify the file.
>
> The Id attribute is defined as metioned below:
>
> <LicenceData Id="licnew 1">
> <licenceInfo licenceCode="new 1" licenceName="lm"></licenceInfo>
> <order orderId=""></order>
>
> When I execute the command
>  *xmlsec1 --verify --id-attr:Id LicenceData --trusted-pem root.pem
> act_space.XML , *I get the below mentioned below.

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-attribute-types

Validity constraint: ID

Values of type ID MUST match the Name production.

XML Name production is defined at

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#NT-Name

and obviously can't take a space.

Whatever generated that xml:id is broken. Libxml2 might still register this
as an ID, but subsequent tries at using this id is also likely to fail
for XPath.
In a nutshell spaces are forbidden in ID identifiers.

Daniel