[xmlsec] xmlsec encrypt xpath

Cook, Sean D (Genworth) Sean.Cook at genworth.com
Fri May 22 12:30:38 PDT 2009

Greetings!

I am trying to encrypt an element of a saml artifact (the assertion)...
I have tried using the following xpath:

--node-xpath /samlp:Response/saml:Assertion

This works in perls XML::XPath to identify the appropriate node, but I
get an undefined namespace prefix when trying to encrypt.  I have pared
down the xml to make sure there was nothing interfering and still no
luck:

/apps/xmlsec/bin/xmlsec1 encrypt --privkey-pem keys/private.key
--pubkey-pem keys/pub.key  --session-key des-192  --xml-data
saml-artifact.xml --output doc-encrypted-xpath.xml --node-xpath
/samlp:Response/saml:Assertion session-key-template.xml

XPath error : Undefined namespace prefix

xmlXPathEval: evaluation failed

Error: failed to evaluate xpath expression

Error: failed to load file "saml-artifact.xml"

Error: failed to encrypt file with template "session-key-template.xml"

# content of saml-artifact.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<samlp:Response xmlns:samlp="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:protocol"
ID="djlmjbkjflgnbankboaepihbcckcgcpkmlgfmbpc" Version="2.0"
IssueInstant="2009-05-22T18:23:51Z"
Destination="https://somedestination/post">

    <saml:Assertion xmlns:saml="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:assertion"
Version="2.0" xml:id="ngaognjiljmkbelegfgnighebokoakanaalhnepj"
ID="ngaognjiljmkbelegfgnighebokoakanaalhnepj"
IssueInstant="2009-05-22T18:23:51Z">

    </saml:Assertion>

</samlp:Response>

Can you point me in the right direction?