[xmlsec] Special password length for block encryption?

Stefan Schulze Frielinghaus stefan at seekline.net
Sat Apr 12 03:13:53 PDT 2008

Now I have some free time to answer my own question, just in case if
someone else runs into the same problem.

I was completely mislead by the assumption of how e.g. my hard drive
encryption, OpenSSL etc. work (from a user perspective!). They use
AES-256Bit encryption and can deal with passwords unequal 256 Bit.
_Because_ they use e.g. PKCS#5, SHA256 or whatever to generate a key
(with length 256 Bit if you use AES-256Bit) out of the password. A
password using as direct input for a key shouldn't be used at all
because it doesn't provide enough entropy. This means the behavior of
XMLsec is absolutely fine!

Hope that helps someone else too.