[xmlsec] Memory Leak with signing a "Large Node Count" document

Ed Shallow ed.shallow at rogers.com
Sun Nov 12 19:25:57 PST 2006

Hi Aleksey,

   I seem to have tripped on a memory leak when signing a file with a very
large quantity of child nodes in the document being signed. The memory leak
does not appear if, for example all the 500K of content is in a few nodes.
However when the 500K is spread out over 1000 nodes for example, the memory
leak appears.

   I tried the xmlsec command line tool using the --repeat option to rule
out my application, and the memory leak was still there.

   Attached is the template and below is the command which leaks memory on
Windows XP SP2 using openssl with xmlsec 1.2.10.

>xmlsec sign --repeat 1000 --pkcs12 keys/edshallow.p12 --pwd password
--output inout/edsigned-enveloped-ot500K.xml
tmpl/tmpl-EPM-sign-enveloped-500K.xml

You will see the memory grow about 300-400 bytes per iteration. I would not
be surprised if the leak is actually in libxml2.

Let me know what you see,
Ed