[xmlsec] Xmlsec vs. ApacheSecurity project

Aleksey Sanin aleksey at aleksey.com
Mon Feb 13 14:49:14 PST 2006

>>> - number of users and projects(I know, that xmlsec is used by
>>> OpenOffice) right?
>>
>> Right. Some other projects are listed in the "Projects" section...
>
> Thanks. Do you know of any projects tha uses the Apache XML Secruity
> library?

I guess you need to ask this question in the Apache XML Security mailing
list :)

>>> - suport for different standards (looking at this mailing list I
>> http://www.aleksey.com/xmlsec/xmldsig.html
>> http://www.aleksey.com/xmlsec/xmlenc.html
>> http://www.aleksey.com/xmlsec/c14n.html
>
> XKMS is partially implementd in mlsec. Right?

Simple answer: no, there is nothing implemented yet. Long answer: there
is a skeleton for XKMS 1.0 support which is more or less irrelevant now
with the introduction of XKMS 2.0.

>>> - size of the development team
>>
>> Currently active development is done by people interested in extending
>> the library and I am working as a gatekeeper for the patches they
>> provide. For example, at the moment there is a big active project
>> adding support for GOST algorithms implemented by Dmitry Belyavsky.
>

> We ara about to make a long term commitment to an XML security library.
> Are you aware of any other reasons to chose xmlsec instead of Apache (or
> vice versa).

It is very hard to tell you anything w/o knowing the details about the
project you have, technical and bussines requirements, etc. All the
information about xmlsec is available on the website and I believe same
goes to Apache Security library. Read, compare, choose :)