[xmlsec] Verify - OpenSSL vs mscrypto

Edward Shallow ed.shallow at rogers.com
Wed Jan 11 10:16:20 PST 2006

Yes I see what you are saying now. In my environment the store is called
"other people".

So from a recipient as a verifier 'MY' signing cert would be in his "Other
People" store. However if the cert is in 'MY' as opposed to 'OtherPeople' it
should still work.

There are 2 concerns here:

1) the verifier may have to check multiple stores to find the signer's cert

2) why does the cert even have to be in "any" store if it is already
contained in the signed document ?

In the case of OpenSSL all you need to verify the trust chain is the issuer
or issuers certs loaded into the KeysMngr. This makes sense. In mscrypto,
why can't we start the chain search from the signer's issuer extracted from
the cert in the signed document, and not from the signer itself ?

   There will be many situations where the recipient does not have the
signer's public cert in their store.

Ed