[xmlsec] Xmlsec not ok with AIX 5.2

ASSO asso at cp.finances.gouv.fr
Fri Jan 6 03:57:34 PST 2006

Well, I try again other ways to compile and I think I found a way.
Perhaps it could be useful to include it inside the doc
or the configure.
I figure one way I didn't check with your question... So Thanks a lot !

First I answear to your question :
It is correct. I decided to compile myself OpenSSL
and I did the self-test and all were ok for OpenSSL.
Now for Xmlsec, the compile part is ok, but when
I do make check, all tests are failed.
In the log they all say the same thing :
func=xmlSecCryptoDLLibraryCreate:file=dl.c:line=130:obj=xmlsec_lt_dlopen:subj=unknown:erro
r=7:io function failed:filename=libxmlsec1-openssl.so
func=xmlSecCryptoDLGetLibraryFunctions:file=dl.c:line=453:obj=unknown:subj=xmlSecCryptoDLL
ibraryCreate:error=1:xmlsec library function failed:crypto=openssl
func=xmlSecCryptoDLLoadLibrary:file=dl.c:line=404:obj=unknown:subj=xmlSecCryptoDLGetLibrar
yFunctions:error=1:xmlsec library function failed:
Error: unable to load xmlsec-openssl library. Make sure you have
this it installed, check shared libraries path (LD_LIBRARY_PATH)
envornment variable or use "--crypto" option to specify different
crypto engine.
Error: initialization failed

Here is my env : (part of it)
PATH=/opt/XML/bin:...
LIBPATH=/opt/XML/lib:...
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/XML/lib/... (even if not necessary on AIX)
LDFLAGS='-L/opt/XML/lib ...'

The only thing I found is that OpenSSL (0.9.8) is only compiled as static library,
and OpenSSL(0.9.7) given by IBM (precompiled) is both shared and static version.

Now my way to get it working :
I compile OpenSSL 0.9.8 in the normal way (aix-gcc) not shared since it is not possible
according to the documentation (AIX + GCC KO, but AIX + XLC (IBM compiler) OK).
Then I compile xmlenc with the following options :
./configure --prefix=dest --with-libxml=... -with-libxslt=... --with-openssl=where_I_insta
lled_my_openssl
    -- enable-crypto-dl=no --enable-apps-crypto-dl=no
I was always using --enable-shared=no previously which brokes the compile step.
Now, without specified --enabled-shared but only --enable-(apps)-crypto-dl=no,
it compiles well and as far as I see right now, the beginning of the test (check) is ok
except from merlin-xmldsig-twenty-three/signature-external-(b64)-dsa,
merlin-xmldsig-twenty-three/signature-keyname,
merlin-xmldsig-twenty-three/signature-*-x509-*,.merlin-xmldsig-twenty-three/signature and
it continues.
I send later on the final status.
I will try to change of OpenSSL Library to see if it changes something in the check, as I
know
now how to compile it.

So, compiling with gcc on AIX needs to disable crypto-dl to work and of course
to add the libcrypto.a staticly to the program when we compile it with xmlenc.

Hope this can help other users...

Frederic