[xmlsec] xmlSecMSCryptoX509StoreConstructCertsChain

Edward Shallow ed.shallow at rogers.com
Mon Dec 19 07:50:15 PST 2005

As far as I know certificate chain verification and CRL checking are 2
distinct functions in the MS world. They are not even in the same library.

CRL checking is part of the Microsoft Crypto API (CAPI) and can be found in
crypt32.dll. The function in question is CertVerifyCRLRevocation and
requires a certificate context and a CRL context and compares one to the
other. The CRL context can be created from a CRL file or retrieved and
loaded.

Presently I do not think xmlsec does either for mscrypto. For OpenSSL,
xmlSecOpenSSLX509StoreVerify in x509vfy.c does perform the check for the
issuer certificate (i.e. certificate chain verification) and one must
perform an xmlSecCryptoAppKeysMngrCertLoad in order to get the trusted
issuer certificate into the KeyMngr prior to the verify call to avoid an
"Unable to get local issuer certificate" error msg.

Dmitry I understand is patching mscrypto to do the certificate chain
validation. Is this correct ?

I can't find where CRL checking is done. Is certificate verification against
a CRL the application's responsibility outside of xmlsec ?

Ed