[xmlsec] Win98 support for xmlSecMSCryptoDigestInitialize

Joachim Lingner Joachim.Lingner at Sun.COM
Mon Nov 14 05:53:23 PST 2005

Hi,

The reason I am writing is that I stumbled about a problem when using
XMLSec along with OpenOffice.org on Windows 98. The function

xmlSecMSCryptoDigestInitialize*
*in xmlsec/src/mscrypto/digests.c

calls CryptAcquireContext with the flag MS_STRONG_PROV. This call fails
on Windows 98 (at least on the two machines I was testing with), even
with IE 6 installed.
When using the flag MS_ENHANCED_PROV it works. My suggestion is to call
the function again with MS_ENHANCED_PROV in case the first call failed.
This could look like this:

if (!CryptAcquireContext(&ctx->provider, NULL, MS_STRONG_PROV, PROV_RSA_FULL, CRYPT_VERIFYCONTEXT)) {
    if (!CryptAcquireContext(&ctx->provider, NULL, MS_ENHANCED_PROV, PROV_RSA_FULL, CRYPT_VERIFYCONTEXT)) {
	xmlSecError(XMLSEC_ERRORS_HERE ...

Do you think that using this CSP could have any unwanted effects when
used for processing the digests?

Kind regards,
Joachim Lingner