[xmlsec] building without DTD validation support in libxml

Bernd Becker bb at bernd-becker.de
Thu May 12 08:10:29 PDT 2005

Hi Aleksey,

--On Thursday, May 12, 2005 07:01:53 -0700 Aleksey Sanin
<aleksey at aleksey.com> wrote:

> BTW, you might want to try static libraries for both libxml2 and xmlsec.
> Theoreticaly, the result size of your executable should be slightly less
> than in case of dynamic libraries.
>
> Aleksey

I just did that and I noticed that libxmlsec1-openssl.a is huge (about 4MB)!
The reason is that it contains libcrypto.a twice
(see with ar tv libxmlsec1-openssl.a). The output of make:

ar cru .libs/libxmlsec1-openssl.a /usr/lib/libcrypto.a  app.o bn.o
ciphers.o
crypto.o digests.o evp.o hmac.o kw_aes.o kw_des.o kt_rsa.o signatures.o
symkeys.o
x509.o x509vfy.o /usr/lib/libcrypto.a

You can see it being picked up twice. I suppose libcrypto shouldn't be
there at all,
but be linked against the application only?

Also, the static libcrypto is being linked against the dynamic
libxmlsec1-openssl.so.
I noticed that because of the warning
*** Warning: Linking the shared library libxmlsec1-openssl.la against the
*** static library /usr/lib/libcrypto.a is not portable!

Is there a special reason for not linking against dynamic libcrypto ?

Bernd