[xmlsec] Problem with some cert which has a negative serial number

Chandler Peng Chuandong.Peng at sun.com
Sun Feb 20 18:33:31 PST 2005

Hello , Aleksey ,

We found there will be failed using some certificate to sign when these
certificate have one negative integer in  the serial number field .  we
will get an KEY_NOT_FOUND error indicate the cert or the privatekey can
not found in the cert store or the key store . we think there is the
cert not found when searching the cert with issuer name and serial
number . At the begining , we got the raw strings of IssuerName(DN) and
SerialNumber(SN) from the certificate without any change . Then we
passed the DN and SN to the libxmlsec . The SN has been changed from der
format to decimal format in xmlSecBnToString() and there are no sign to
record whether the integer is negative or not.  So the correct der
string  can not come back from decimal string when the integer is
negative and this cause searching cert process failed when using  the DN
and the 'wrong' SN as the parameter of CertFindCertificateInStore().

According  to RFC3280 , the serial number MUST be a positive integer
assigned by the CA to each certificate, BUT according to X509 , a serial
number in certificate can be positive or negative.

"RFC 3280 mandates that serial numbers be positive integers that are at
most 20 octets long, but X.509 simply states that serial numbers are
integers.  So, if a certificate with a negative serial number is not
incorrect, it simply was not generated in a PKIX compliant manner."
--from NIST, the author org of X509.

So , what should we do on this scene ? Does the libxmlsec will support
these certificate in the coming version?

--Chandler Peng.