[xmlsec] Re: Detached Signatures (same-document)

Larry Bugbee bugbee at seanet.com
Sun Oct 10 21:52:07 PDT 2004

I did.  ...but it didn't seem right and hence my note.  I'm just trying
to understand if indeed something needs fixing rather than a DTD
workaround.

I didn't expect this issue to have a clean answer hence
'point/counterpoint'.  One could even argue the W3C specification is
incorrect.  I'm inclined to think not, but who knows?

I believe an implementation of the W3C recommendation should not
require the user to add a DTD simply to do same-document detached
signatures.  I haven't tested java or apache yet, but if what Andrew
says is true, the DTD should not be necessary.  A number of other
programmers were expecting that to be the case given the postings I
read.

What am I missing?

My thanks,

Larry