[xmlsec] RE: FW: X509SerialNumber

Rich Salz rsalz at datapower.com
Sat Sep 4 15:52:08 PDT 2004

> Does the X509SerialNumber node within the X509IssuerSerial node, *NOT* refer
> to the serial number for the issuer certificate?
> <X509IssuerSerial>
> 	<X509IssuerName>My CA for Certificate A</X509IssuerName>
> 	<X509SerialNumber>12345678</X509SerialNumber>
> </X509IssuerSerial>

No.  It means "the serial number for the certificate that has been
assigned *by* the issuer." A "clue" is that they call it "serial number"
but "*issuer* name."  If you know about X.509, then the meaning is
obvious.  The spec could be more clear here.

	/r$
--
Rich Salz, Chief Security Architect
DataPower Technology                           http://www.datapower.com