[xmlsec] how does one actualy use the xmlsec1 command utility

Aleksey Sanin aleksey at aleksey.com
Tue Aug 24 10:01:42 PDT 2004

> The man page gives the impression that EVERY option can used with every
> command, but
> xmlsec1 complains,
Try help for particular operation "xmlsec1 --help-sign", etc.

> I have tried to sign both an .svg and a .jpg, but with both cases it
> complains mostly about crypto,
> or invalid parameters. Both certificates are protected by a password,
> and only using jon_bendtsen.key
> did it ask for a password

I believe you are missing and important input parameter: a signature
template. I would recommend to look at the xmlsec tutorial
	http://www.aleksey.com/xmlsec/api/xmlsec-notes-sign-encrypt.html
and a lot of examples in the test/ folder of xmlsec archive.

> I'm unsure about the difference between --sign and --sign-tmpl, as i
> only want to provide the data i want to sign, and a
> key/certificate/... and then xmlsec1 gives me either an .xml embedding
> the data, either text or binary, or provide an URI
> to it.
Ignore "--sign-tmpl". It's just an internal test (not sure why fink guys
enabled it). You need to use "--sign" and "--verify" options.