[xmlsec] xmlsec1 man page problem

Aleksey Sanin aleksey at aleksey.com
Sat Nov 29 22:28:00 PST 2003

John,

Thanks for filing the bug! I have looked at this today but I don't have
good news.
It  seems more complicated then I thought and I have no clue how to make man
pages generation "on the fly" work.

The problem is that as I have told you, I would like to include
pre-generated
man pages in source distribution file because "help2man" is not a common
utility. On the other hand, if a file is created during compilation then
it can not
be included in the source package (for example, because it have to be
removed
with "distclean" command). There are workarounds for this (like having a .in
files in the distribution and then generate real files on the fly) but
it's ugly (IMHO)
and adds additional problems for me because now I need to do not forget to
update these new files before creating a dist package.

Thus I decided to go other way. In your original message you said that
it would
be OK to just warn the user that requested feature was disabled during
compilation.
I did this and now the error says the following:

        [aleksey at lsh xmlsec-tip]$ ./apps/xmlsec1 encrypt --crypto
openssl --something
        Error: parameter "--something" is not supported or the requested
        feature might have been disabled during compilation.

I hope this would be enough because changing man pages creation is a
real pain.