[xmlsec] Different digest value between .NET implementation and XmlSec?

Chugh, Sanjay schugh at filenet.com
Thu Oct 9 12:53:21 PDT 2003

Hello, I am in the middle of learning all this business about XmlDigital
signatures and Encryption.
To try and understand things, I've been trying different libraries and
trying to verify results.
I have run into one issue that I was wondering if somebody could shed
some light into.
I have the XML file shown at the bottom of the e-mail.
When I calculate a signature using XmlSec, the digest value generated
is:
<DigestValue>UT4+z2LQyKSxNWWdS7VE8uTo+wE=</DigestValue>

However, when I calculate a signature on the same file using .NET, the
digest value is different:
<DigestValue>sUD7jzvAdt3liQEkrpGsJukqftU=</DigestValue>

I have tracked it down to the following. The XmlSec library is
calculating the digest on the canonicalized form without the procession
instruction

<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="myfile.xsl" ?>

at the top of the file. The .NET implementation includes the processing
instruction in it's calculation of the digest. According to what I have
read, I believe that .NET is correct to include the processing
instruction in it's calculation of the digest.

Does anyone know why this should be the case?

Thanks.

-- Sanjay

Here is the Xml file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="myfile.xsl" ?>
<!DOCTYPE sales [
<!ELEMENT sales (region*)>
<!ATTLIST sales quarter CDATA #IMPLIED>
<!ELEMENT region (units, amount)>