[xmlsec] XPATH and Visa 3D-secure specification

Slava Kostin sk_home at mail333.com
Thu Sep 25 03:12:38 PDT 2003

Good afternoon, dear professionals!

I have a question which might be boring to all forum readers. But I
have to ask it ones more.

In Visa 3D-secure DTD attribute "id" of tag <PARes> declared as
<!ATTLIST PARes id CDATA #REQUIRED>

Such declaration (using CDATA) does not allow to reference to element
<PARes> from within attribute "URI" of tag <Reference>, defined in
xmldsig-core (http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/CR-xmldsig-core-20010419).

Because of that reason I have to use DTD which defines attribute id
like this:
<!ATTLIST PARes id ID #REQUIRED>

But Visa sends attribute id containing digital symbols only. This is
not correct from the point of view of XML and XPATH specifications
(http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#sec-attribute-types).

And this is an answer from Visa experts on my question:

===
"Such declaration (using CDATA) does not allow to reference to element
<PARes> from within attribute "URI" of tag <Reference>, defined
in>xmldsig-core (http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/CR-xmldsig-core-20010419)."

    Looking at the xmldsig-core, we do not see any assertion of the
above statement. Our guess is that the above reference processing model
is prevented by XPATH. However, the CTH and the core 3DSecure
specifications do not support XPATH processing.
===

May be you have any ideas about how to sign and verify documents
declaring "id"-attribute as CDATA or how to work around XPATH
constraints (or may be even how to work without XPATH)?

One of the ways is to "patch" libxml2 by myself to make it work with
ID's "differently". I don't like such decision but possibly I'll have
to do that. So, may be you can help me to make such patch without
terrible side-effects? Aleksey told me he had made such patch and it
has to be somewhere in libxml2 forum in march-april of 2003... It is
shameful, but I can't find those patch. Can somebody repost those
patch in forum or to my private mail?

And also I want to wander from the subject a little. Can you help me
to compile libxml2 under Win32 using MS Visual C++ 6.0 compiler
(Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 12.00.8804 for
80x86)? During the running "sh configure" there's an error occured:
"configure: error: no acceptable ld found in $PATH". But I have no ld
under Windows. Can you help me?

Sorry for the lame questions :-)

--
Best regards,