[xmlsec] xmlsec-mscrypto code review

Aleksey Sanin aleksey at aleksey.com
Sun Sep 21 00:59:24 PDT 2003

For the record: I found why I had this error. A driver for one of my
smart card
readers uses OpenSSL. At some point I had to had two readers on that box
and the only solution was to install two copies of the driver and do
some black
magic in registry. At some point, I have upgraded the reader driver but
I did
upgrade only one copy because I forgot about the second one by that time :).

It turns out that these drivers registered themselves in MS Crypto for
keys and
certificates search. The test that gave me this error did a search for a
cert
(or may be validated a cert - I am not sure which operation caused that
error).
When I executed this test it loaded some driver dlls in the *current
process*
address space (don't ask me why it is needed if the driver is already
sitting
in memory). Unfortunately, the new (upgraded) and old (forgotten) drivers
were linked agains different OpenSSL versions. Thus one of them had problems
using the OpenSSL dll loaded for another one.

Simple un-install of the old driver solved the issue.

Aleksey