[xmlsec] Re: Generate symmetric key

Tejkumar Arora tej at netscape.com
Wed Jun 18 09:46:12 PDT 2003

Aleksey Sanin wrote:

> As you can see from the code, there is a special GenerateKey function.
> Yes, the simplest implementation I have for NSS does use the random
> generator but it was only a result of copy/paste from GnuTLS/OpenSSL
> code.
> It would be great to have  symmetric key generated on crypto token.

Definitely.

> However, you need to remember that you might need to get *raw* symmetric
> key data in some cases (encrypting with encrypted key).

Theoretically (in the context of NSS) we should be able to manage
without ever using
raw symmetric keys. The key material can be in the crypto token,
and users can just use key handles. For distribution, the keys
can be wrapped using key transport algorithms (using PKI).  In any case,
NSS does have APIs (PK11_ExtractKeyValue; PK11_GetKeyData) to extract the
raw symmetric key from the token... (which will fail if a token is
in FIPS mode.... which prohibits export of key material).