[xmlsec] versioning and library naming policies

Aleksey Sanin aleksey at aleksey.com
Wed Apr 9 21:55:33 PDT 2003

> But since you don't seem to have this in mind, I'd like to ask you for
> a clarification.  If a binary incompatibility should happen soon after
> your 1.0.0 release, which of the following will you do?
>
>     1) start the 2.x.x series
>     2) increment the SONAME number (as shown above)
>     3) pretend it didn't happen and continue with the same SONAME :-)

Answer is #1. As I wrote before, the library version is
MAJOR.MINOR.SUBMINOR where:
   - SUBMINOR is incremented if the interfaces are not
     changed at all (bug fixes)
   - MINOR is incremented (SUBMINOR is set to 0) if
     there is new API but it's backward binary compatibe
   - MAJOR is incremented (MINOR and SUBMINOR are set to 0)
     if there is binary in-compatibility with new release.

I really need to document it somewhere :)

Thanks for checking the library versioning, now I am ready to do a final
release candidate :)