[xmlsec] versioning and library naming policies

Doug Royer Doug at Royer.com
Wed Apr 2 09:09:07 PST 2003

Rich Salz wrote:
>>Are you really prepared to increment N every time a function signature is
>>changed, a public structure is changed, or the semantics of the API
>>is changed?
>

> Makes sense to me.

I agree. It is a common convention.

>>  This rule must be applied to every release you make, development, stable, or
>>otherwise.
>>

> Disagree.  You can change N when you start an incompatible branch, not
> during development.

And as the library is out for a longer amount of time the number
of incompatible changes tend to go down.

--

  Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
                                 |   Cell: (208)520-4044

                 We Do Standards - You Need Standards