[xmlsec] versioning and library naming policies

John Belmonte jvb at prairienet.org
Wed Apr 2 08:18:22 PST 2003

Aleksey Sanin wrote:
> I think the current proposal goes along these docs:
>    - name everything *xmlsecN*
>    - N is changed when backward API compatibility is broken

Are you really prepared to increment N every time a function signature is
changed, a public structure is changed, or the semantics of the API is changed?
  This rule must be applied to every release you make, development, stable, or
otherwise.

In the scheme I proposed, you only needed to increment the SONAME number when
this happens, not the version in the library name.  (There is no rule that says
the SONAME number and version major number need to be the same.  Indeed, the
SONAME number is to be reset to 0 whenever the library name changes.)

-John

--
http:// if   l .   /