[xmlsec] Canonicalization question

Aleksey Sanin aleksey at aleksey.com
Tue Feb 25 07:48:42 PST 2003

http://www.w3.org/TR/xmldsig-core/#sec-ReferenceProcessingModel:

The |Transforms| specified in this document are defined with respect to
the input they require.
The following is the default signature application behavior:

    * If the data object is an octet stream and the next transform
      requires a node-set,
      the signature application MUST attempt to parse the octets
      yielding the required
      node-set via [XML <http://www.w3.org/TR/xmldsig-core/#ref-XML>]
      well-formed processing.
    * If the data object is a node-set and the next transform requires
      octets, the signature
      application MUST attempt to convert the node-set to an octet
      stream using
      Canonical XML [XML-C14N
      <http://www.w3.org/TR/xmldsig-core/#ref-XML-C14N>].

Which means that if you do not specify C14N then the default one would
be used
when needed.

Aleksey