[xmlsec] Verifying a signature against a PEM certificate

Moultrie, Ferrell (ISSAtlanta) FMoultrie at iss.net
Mon Nov 25 04:35:57 PST 2002

Hi:
  More from the OpenSSL doc I quoted earlier:

The ApacheSSL documentation, and the docs for the SSLeay toolkit, refer to certificates and certificate requests as "PEM" files. They are not. ApacheSSL, like all SSL secure servers, uses the (standard) X.509 certificate format. X.509 certificates are binary files, which are difficult to send around by mail. So SSLeay stores them in BASE64 encoded format, between '-----BEGIN-----' and '-----END-----' lines. BASE64 encoding was defined as part of the (old) Privacy Enhanced Mail (PEM) specification, which is why the documentation calls them "PEM format" files.

  To convert my DER binary encoded X509 certs so that xmlSecSimpleKeysMngrLoadPemKey would load them I used:
x509 -inform der -text -in d:old_export.pem -out d:new_export.pem
  (the x509 utility is part of the openssl distribution)

If I understand your question, this should solve your problem.
Ferrell