[xmlsec] Verify signature after certificate expired

Moultrie, Ferrell (ISSAtlanta) FMoultrie at iss.net
Wed Oct 9 10:28:04 PDT 2002

Aleksey:
  I'll have to check the spec also -- but it simply *can't* work this
way. If I sign e-mail today and it can't be verified tomorrow even
though nothing has changed, that's *wrong*. I do know that signing of
certs works this way but that's handled by ensuring that the root cert
is valid as of the expiration of the child cert. While you are likely
correct about CRLs .. none of the other signing schemes other than certs
behave this way (i.e., code signing (JAVA and Authenticode) and S/Mime
e-mail don't behave this way).
  Depending on what the spec says about this and whether it's MUST,
SHOULD or MAY, will determine how to proceed here. If it's SHOULD or MAY
and you feel strongly that the current behavior is correct, what about
an option for applications where the data must be proved authentic
essentially forever and the only desired restriction is that the cert
must have been valid when the data was signed?
  One way to look at this is that I'm giving my customers a perpetual
license to my application -- if it suddenly stops working in 9 months
when my cert expires, they aren't going to be happy. The commercial CA's
won't even give you a cert greater than 12 (maybe 24 if you press hard)
months. There's no way to validate code and other application meta-data
(the XML issue at hand) for a greater period of time if your assumption
is correct. That just won't work ...
  Please check on this and reconsider if it's at all an optional
behavior (which I strongly believe it is).
Thanks!
  Ferrell