[xmlsec] xmlsec command line fail on Windows with crash

G. Ken Holman gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
Mon Nov 15 19:07:35 PST 2010

Hi!

Attached is a renamed ZIP file with an example that when xmlsec is
invoked it reports the expected correct examples and then triggers a
Windows crash with the infamous "xmlsec.exe has encountered a problem
and needs to close." dialogue box.

The creation of the detached signature used in this test also
triggers a Windows crash.  Again, it happens after successfully
creating the output.

The file extSigned2.xml is an XML document that has an enveloped
signature inside.  The transformation in the detached signature
ignores the subtree that contains the signatures.

The file detSigned.xml is the detached signature that I created with
a key I obtained from a CA in Spain.

The file test.bat invokes the application with this (note the return code):

T:\xmlsecProblem>xmlsec --verify detSigned.xml
OK
SignedInfo References (ok/all): 1/1
Manifests References (ok/all): 0/0

T:\xmlsecProblem>echo %errorlevel%
-1073741819

T:\xmlsecProblem>

All of my other uses of xmlsec work without a crash:  creating and
verifying enveloped signatures and creating and verifying detached
signatures without a transform.

Thank you for any help you can be determining the reason for the crashing.

p.s. if anyone is curious, this is based on volunteer work being done
digitally signing OASIS Universal Business Language (UBL)
documents.  You can find draft committee documents regarding the
signature work here in the "profiledocs/" subdirectory:

    http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=40254

... and how I've packaged the use of xmlsec for UBL documents here:

    http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/resources/ubl/index.htm#digsig

Feedback is welcome.