[xmlsec] canonicalization and transcoding

Aleksey Sanin aleksey at aleksey.com
Fri Mar 28 22:26:38 PST 2003

I am not sure what do you mean by transcoding in application to XML but
I believe you are
mixing canonicalization with something different. Canonicalization
(c14N) is a process of
transformng an XML document or a part of XML document to a binary
stream. You *have*
to do c14n in order to sign or digest XML data just because digests and
signature work on
binary data only. Currently, several c14n algorithms are defined by W3C
and all of them
are implemented in xmlsec library.

Next, there is no reason why XML parser should replace
    <foo />
with
    <foo></foo>
The "<foo/>" is a perfectly valid XML. There is also no reason for XML
parser
to sort nodes (moreover, the parser that does it is actualy not an XML
parser at all :) ).

Also when you specify encoding in the XML document, LibXML is smart
enough to
do correct automatic encoding conversion when it reads or writes
document. Internaly,
all the strings are UTF8 (see libxml documentation). And the
signatures/digests are
calculated other UTF8 data as it is required by specification. However,
when the result
document is dupmed to output in the example you've mentioned, it is
converted
back to the encoding specified in the document. Of course, you can force
libxml
to write document in any other encoding but this is beyond the limits of
the xmlsec library
examples.

You can use "xmlsec" command line utility to look "inside" the signature
process.
Try '--store-references' or '--store-signatures' options when verifiying
a document.
It'll print out the binary stream just before calculating digest or
signature. You can also
get access to the same data from your application (check the xmlsec
utility sources for details).

Aleksey